Fountain Head History
In the early 1920's, local Hagerstown outdoor enthusiasts had few golf course options to choose from. Most played at Hagerstown Country Club, a long-since defunct 9-hole layout on Northern Avenue which is currently an American Legion.
During the year of 1922, Emmett W. Gans, an Ohio immigrant who became a local businessman purchased Schindel Farm. Gans, an avid golfer, developed a vision to build a country club in Hagerstown. He desired not only another golfing option, but also to help Hagerstown achieve "a better and higher social and outdoor life”.
Gans hired Donald Ross, a world-renown golf course designer, to plan and build the golf course. The course was originally slated to be a 9-hole layout, but plans were quickly made for additional 9-holes to be added!
During the time the course was being built, the clubhouse was also being constructed. Gans met privately with many local golfers -- most who played at Hagerstown Country Club -- and built a charter membership of close to 100 members.
The members only club officially opened its doors on October 4, 1924.
As membership expanded through the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s, improvements were made throughout the clubhouse, including the addition of a swimming pool and tennis court and an expansion of its dining and social areas. The last major enlargement came in 1963.
Unfortunately, the members never had much chance to enjoy this renovated building. On June 11, 1965, Fountain Head's foundation was truly tested as a fire burned most of the club to the ground. The electrical fire began in the kitchen but quickly spread, torching the ball room, bar area, dining room, golf shop, and parts of the locker rooms. Remarkably, the club was back up and running on a limited basis within the next few days following an emergency meeting in which the club's reconstruction was approved.
By the turn of the century, many club officials had recognized Fountain Head's need for another clubhouse renovation. After various membership meetings, discussions, and votes, the construction of a brand new clubhouse was approved in 2005.
After a trying summer of 2006 in which one building was being built as the older one beside it was being destroyed, the new building was ready to open in September 2006. The next month, a grand opening was held to commemorate the new luxurious clubhouse.
Fountain Head Country Club continues to thrive as the areas only private club that offers not only exceptional experiences for families to grow, athletes to improve, and respected members to relax, but also business to build partnerships and expand their success.